Get the right preparation for medical school.
Shawnee State designed its biomedical sciences program to thoroughly prepare students for medical school entry. Not only does it include all required classes for medical school entry—we also offer a unique set of advanced biology courses that students are unlikely to find at any other undergraduate institution. For example: we offer an advanced human anatomy course that involves actual human cadaver dissection.
Put in the research.
Shawnee State faculty members offer research opportunities for every student enrolled in our program, and work one-on-one with them in several dedicated research lab spaces.
- Nine highly-qualified faculty members. Eight with Ph.D.'s in biology, one with an M.S. in biology.
- Undergraduate research opportunities every semester.
- Upper-division classes are small, with class sizes typically around 15 – 20 students.
- A teaching licensure option is available with our BS Natural Sciences degree
- Graduates have been admitted to graduate, medical, and pharmacy schools at: The Ohio State University, Case Western Reserve University, Ohio University, Marshall University, University of Pikeville, and the University of Cincinnati.
- The vast majority of our senior Biomedical sciences majors are accepted to one or more medical/professional schools.
We have several active biology clubs within the department that invite speakers to campus, get involved with the community, and organize social activities.
- Our Pre-Med Club invites speakers from medical schools, organizes social activities, and helps students with the medical school application process.
- Our Tri-Beta Club is the Xi Upsilon chapter of the βββ National Biological Honor Society. They promote research and research activities within the department.