Faculty members submit nominations for commendable student essays. Up to three $100 awards will be presented to undergraduate students and one $100 award will be presented to a graduate student for outstanding research papers.
Papers will be evaluated on the quality of the thesis statement or creative concept, how completely, coherently or imaginatively ideas are developed, how well ideas are supported with research, how well the paper is written (i.e., free of mechanical errors and written in an accessible and learned style) and how professionally the concept is executed.
Emerging Scholar Award
Work completed while a first-year or sophomore student.
Developing Scholar Award
Work completed while a junior or senior student.
Capstone Scholar Award
Work completed for a senior capstone course.
Graduate Scholar Award
Work completed for a graduate-level course.
- Minimum length – 5 pages, 12 pt font, double-spaced.
- Must contain a research component (e.g. surveys, polls, interviews, experiments, library research, etc.).
- Must include documentation using professionally accepted guidelines.
- Must have been completed in an SSU class during the Summer 2023, Fall 2023, or Spring 2024 semesters.
The instructor making the nomination(s) must ensure the following:
- Nomination form is completed and included with the paper.
- Undergraduate students must present their paper at Celebration of Scholarship.
- Graduate students are encouraged but not required to present their paper at Celebration of Scholarship.
- Nomination(s) must be received by 11:59pm on March 29, 2024.
- Only digital nominations will be accepted for 2024. All forms and papers must be submitted via email.
Faculty members should submit their nominations and the student papers to Gail Chinn, Dean’s Assistant for the College of Professional Studies: firstname.lastname@example.org