Make a difference in the health of your community.
We can help you launch an in-demand and high-paying healthcare career in as little as two years.
Advanced Manufacturing & Technology
Become a part of Ohio's exploding growth industries.
Get ready for in-demand and high-paying careers in the semiconductor, plastics, advanced manufacturing and technology fields.
Math & Science
Put your problem-solving skills to work.
Math and science majors are in demand and the opportunities for high-paying careers are endless.
How do you qualify for scholarship consideration?
- Fall 2024 must be your first semester accepted into one of the Shawnee State University programs listed above. Apply for admission
- Live in Ohio. Choose Ohio First scholarships are funded in part through a grant from the Ohio Department of Higher Education and are intended to help meet workforce needs in disadvantaged Ohio populations. Special consideration will be given to applicants from the five most economically disadvantaged counties in our region: Scioto, Lawrence, Adams, Pike and Jackson counties.
- Meet the academic qualifications for one of our merit-based scholarships. Those with a minimum of 3.2 GPA and an ACT composite score of at least 21 – with English, math and reading sub scores of at least 18, or SAT score of at least 980 – with Math sub score of 510 and Verbal 460. Or, talk to an admission associate about alternate placement testing.
- Complete the Choose Ohio First Application. Applicants are required to complete an essay and potential interview as part of the scholarship selection process.
- Commit to participate in SSU Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program. Shawnee State will use a cohort model with award recipients and require attendance at cohort events, participation in an Alumni Mentorship Program, and usage of SSU Career Services.
Frequently Asked Questions:
If I meet all qualifications, will I automatically receive the scholarship?
No. Awards will be made to qualified selected applicants on a first-come, first-served basis while funding is available. You will be asked to commit to Shawnee State by a certain date so we ensure that all funding will be used.
What is the value of the scholarship?
Awards valued from $1500 up to full tuition for those seeking a degree will be made with a possible combination of Choose Ohio First grant funding, institutional funds, and SSU Development Foundation scholarship funding, and from $500 to full tuition for those seeking a certificate. Awarded scholarships are renewable for up to four years, provided recipients maintain a 3.0 GPA, earn 27 credit hours per academic year, and continue working toward a degree.
Scholarships are funded by Choose Ohio First, a scholarship program funded by the Ohio Department of Higher Education to significantly strengthen Ohio’s competitiveness within STEM disciplines while recruiting underrepresented student groups into innovative academic programs at Ohio universities.
Contact Us with Questions:
Contact Sheena Shifko at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (740) 351-3247 with any questions you may have about the Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program. You may also contact an Admission Associate at email@example.com.