What Makes This Major Unique
- Approachable and passionate faculty who are dedicated to the students.
- Early field experience, methods field experience, and finally student teaching scaffolds preparation for high school teaching.
- Exposure to undergraduate research through a required senior project under the supervision of a faculty mentor.
- Close work with their peers in math lab help form a community for the teaching and learning of mathematics along with the opportunity for part-time income and work experience.
- Teaches the quantitative skills and broad mathematical background that allow for the same wide array of career paths available to a general math majors.
- Most upper level courses within this concentration have small enrollments that enable more individualized teaching.
- Students activities through both an active Math Club and a chapter Pi Mu Epsilon, the national mathematics honor society.
- Many graduates of this program return and enter our Masters of Sciences in Mathematical Sciences to earn additional credentialing to teach dual credit college courses in their high schools.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to formulate and solve problems in the mathematical sciences.
- Students will communicate advanced mathematics.
- Students will be able to prove mathematical statements.
“I liked how available all the professors were to help. The series of math courses that I had to take for my degree was spot on for the Ohio Assessment for Educators Mathematics test I had to take. I felt very prepared for what was on that exam. I also feel that working in the math lab prepared me for teaching math to my students.”
“My experience in the Math AYA program at SSU was a very positive one. I found the staff very helpful and pleasant to interact with. I learned quite a bit, and always found help when I needed it whether through the math lab or via professors during their office hours. I found the instruction to be very high quality and would recommend the SSU math program to other students aspiring a career in mathematics.”
“The mathematics adolescent and young adult licensure degree program prepared me to be a highly effective mathematics teacher. The mathematics curriculum provided me with the rigorous background to have a deep understanding of the content, and the education classes helped me refine the skills needed to effectively disseminate mathematics knowledge to my future students.”
Explore Jobs on Handshake
As a Shawnee student, you already have an account on Handshake, our career platform, which will help you to find job and internship opportunities, set job alerts, network with employers and other college students, register for upcoming SSU career events, and make appointments with Career Services. (Learn more about Handshake)
Login to Handshake to see more