How can I use my financial aid to purchase my books?

If you have a credit balance on your account (shown by a minus sign), you may charge your books in the bookstore. Bookstore charges begin two weeks prior to the start of each term and ends one week after classes begin. Be sure to have your student id with you.

How much financial aid did I receive?

You can check your awards through your MySSU account. Once you login, click on the Financial Aid tab. On the left side of the screen, you will see the Financial Aid link. You can check your awards. If your aid is not awarded, be sure to check the Missing Documents link.

Why do I have to provide a tax transcript?

The U.S. Department of Education selects students for verification. Verification means that the school must verify the information you reported on your FAFSA. The school is required to collect all supporting documentation including a tax transcript. We can no longer accept copies of the federal tax return. To simplify this process, you can use the IRS Data Retrieval process through the FAFSA on the Web. The verification process must be completed before aid can be awarded.

What does EFC mean?

EFC is the expected family contribution. The U.S. Department of Education calculates how much your family can contribute to the cost of your education based on the information reported on your FAFSA. The EFC determines your eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant, the Ohio College Opportunity Grant, the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan.

What is SEOG?

SEOG or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a need based grant awarded to students who show the most need as determined by the results of the FAFSA. SSU is given a limited amount of money for this grant so it is awarded on a first come, first serve bases.

When can I apply for scholarships?

The early consideration deadline for institutional merit-based scholarships is December 1, for the following academic year. Apply by January 15 to receive full consideration for all merit-based awards. Students need to be accepted for admission by this date. 

All students are considered for scholarships through the SSU Development Foundation. There are some select scholarships in which we need to gather additional information. Students can apply for these scholarships through their MySSU account. After logging in, click on the Financial Aid tab. Then click on the Scholarship Opportunities link. Students interested in need-based scholarships are encouraged to file their FAFSA by December 1, ahead of the next academic year.

Why is my scholarship on hold?

Each scholarship has specific criteria such as a minimum GPA, a minimum number of credit hours, a certain major, or completion of a certain number of credit hours. For information specific to your scholarship, please contact Annette Johnson at

How much can I borrow in student loans?

Federal Direct loan amounts are determined based on academic grade level and dependency status.

Why is my loan on hold?

Federal Direct loans require that a student be enrolled at least half time (six credit hours for undergraduate, five hours for graduate) to receive the loan. Also, a student must be making satisfactory progress toward his/her degree.

What is Standards of Progress?

All students who receive Title IV Federal Financial Aid, including student loans, must successfully pass 67% of the courses they take. If a student withdraws or fails a class, that counts as attempted but not earned coursework. Once a student drops below 67% of successful completion, he/she is placed on warning. The second time this happens, the student is placed on financial aid suspension. The student has the right to appeal this decision. If the appeal is approved, the student can continue to receive financial aid. However, the next time the student withdraws or fails could result in financial aid suspension again. Once a student is on suspension, he/she is no longer eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid until he/she reaches the 67% completion ratio again. Learn more about Standards of Progress.

What is a Master Promissory Note?

The Master Promissory Note or MPN is a loan contract between the borrower and the Department of Education. It is a promise to repay the student loan. The MPN contains the terms and conditions of the student loan and must be signed before the loan funds will be disbursed to SSU. The MPN is good for 10 years and additional student loans may be disbursed from the original signed MPN.

I don't live at home with my parents. Why do I have to include their income information on my FAFSA?

A student is considered a dependent student until they are 24 years old unless they are married; have dependents they provide more than fifty percent of support; are a veteran; were a dependent or ward of the court before age 13; emancipated minor or legal guardianship as determined by the Court; unaccompanied youth who was homeless (documentation must be provided by your school district, emergency shelter, transitional housing, or youth center); or are pursuing a graduate degree. Just because a student does not live at home or their parents do not claim them on the taxes does not make the student independent for financial aid purposes.

I need more financial aid. What do I do?

If you have applied for grants, scholarships, and federal student and parent loans, you may consider applying for private loans. Private loans are credit based loans. The student must have good credit or a credit worthy cosigner.