Admission into the Honors Program is selective and competitive.
New SSU students may apply for admission into the Honors program if they have an ACT composite score of 26 or higher; an SAT combined score of 1240 or higher; OR a high school GPA of 3.5 or higher.
Current SSU students may apply for admission into the Honors program if they have a cumulative SSU GPA of 3.3 or higher.
Transfer students may apply for admission into the Honors program if they have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher at their former institution. Transfer students who have taken relevant Honors courses at other institutions may request that up to 9 hours of appropriate classes be applied to the Honors Program at the discretion of the Program Director.
Submitting Your Application
To apply to the Honors program, prepare the following materials and submit the Honors Application
- A personal statement indicating your interest in the Honors program (no more than 2 pages, in pdf or docx format). In this statement, please address the following topics:
- How would the Honors program help you reach your personal, academic, and/or professional goals? You may wish to highlight specific program components or requirements in which you are particularly interested.
- How would your involvement in the Honors program benefit the program and the university? That is, what are some strengths, values and/or qualities you would bring to the program?
- Two additional work samples that communicate your unique ability to succeed in the Honors program. Most file types are supported. Examples might include, but are not limited to:
- Something you've written that you are proud of
- Your music or artwork
- A video showing us something you created
- Names and email addresses of two people who can speak to your academic and personal strengths.
Incoming freshmen: We accept incoming freshmen every fall semester. To ensure that your application receives full consideration, please submit by April 1.
Current SSU students: Students who are currently in their first or second semester are eligible to apply to the Honors program. If your high school test scores or GPA meet our requirements, you can apply to the Honors program in your first semester; if they don't, but your current or expected GPA is at least 3.3, you are eligible to apply. Please submit your application by April 1 to join us in the fall semester or by November 1 to join us in the spring semester.
Transfer students: If your GPA is at least a 3.3 at your previous institution, you are eligible to apply to the Honors program. Please submit your application by April 1 to join us in the fall semester or by November 1 to join us in the spring semester.