Some degrees require a selective degree application to become accepted and enrolled into your desired program.

You may be accepted into Shawnee State University but not accepted into the selective program you indicate on your application, depending on the program’s admission requirements.

How to apply for a Health Science Degree:

1. Apply for Admission to Shawnee State

Apply for Admission

2. Send Admissions your high school transcript or GED.

Talk to your high school guidance counselor to have your transcript sent to us by email (, by fax (740) 351-3111, or by mail to:

Office of Admission
Shawnee State University
940 Second Street
Portsmouth, Ohio 45662-4344

3. Send Admissions your ACT/SAT scores.

If you have a copy of your report, email it to Your high school counselor may also be able to include your ACT/SAT score on your transcript.

Office of Admission
Shawnee State University
940 Second Street
Portsmouth, Ohio 45662-4344

You may also contact ACT or College Board to have your scores officially sent to Shawnee State. If you listed Shawnee State at the time that you took your test, you’re good to go. We will receive your scores automatically.

4. Submit the Health Science Application

Health Science Application

(If you are applying for Musical Theater visit Musical Theater Requirements for additional application instructions)

Health Science Application Deadlines

February 1:

March 1:

April 1:

October 6:

December 1:

Rolling Admission:

(Accepting Applications until class is full)

Common Questions

What if I have attended SSU before? Do I need to submit a new application?

If you have previously attended Shawnee State University as a degree-seeking student, you do not need to complete the Apply for Admission link. Instead, you can apply for re-enrollment.

What if I am currently an SSU student, and I want to switch my major to a selective degree:

If you are currently enrolled at SSU and pursing a different degree, you can apply to the selective program of your choice by submitting a Change of Major form, then submitting the Health Science Application.

Need help with anything?

If you have any questions about the admission process, contact:

Jenny Lawson
Selective Admissions Specialist
(740) 351-3187