College Credit for Military Educational Experiences

Credit may be awarded for military educational experiences. The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces, published by the American Council on Education, is used to determine possible college credit eligibility. Credit awarded for military educational experiences does not apply toward the residency requirement for graduation. For additional information on college credit for military educational experience, go to our Veteran Services page.

College Credit by Examination

Students have the opportunity to earn credit for selected courses offered at Shawnee State University via proficiency examinations. If the student has prior training, innate skills, extensive preparation, or experience, he/she may qualify to attempt the examination. The student should first secure the advice of his/her advisor or program director as to its appropriateness for the program of study. Then, final approval must be obtained from the appropriate chairperson, program director, or dean. Please note that only selected courses are available "by examination."

A fee is charged for course credit by examination and must be submitted prior to attempting the examination. A "KE" symbol, indicating "credit by exam," is recorded on the academic transcript of those students who demonstrate proficiency by passing the exam. Credit earned by examination is not included in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average. Students are not eligible to attempt a proficiency examination for a course in which they have been enrolled for 20 class days or more.

Credit hours awarded by examination do not apply toward the residency requirement for graduation.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students may be awarded credit for College Level Examinations taken under the College Entrance Examination Board. If a student takes the general examinations in English composition, mathematics, natural sciences, humanities, social sciences, and history and achieves the recommended scores of the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education (ACE), he/she is given "KE" credit for the first sequential course in the above areas. Listed here are the CLEP Equivalencies (PDF).

Many subject examinations may be used to earn "KE" credit for courses in the same subject areas, but the student must achieve recommended ACE scores to receive credit. For more information about CLEP and to find test locations, go to the College Board page about CLEP.

Credit given through the College Level Examination Program does not apply toward the residency requirement for graduation.

Advanced Placement

Each May, participating high schools provide their students with an opportunity to take examinations in a variety of subject areas through the Advanced Placement Program (AP), sponsored by the College Board and administered by Educational Testing Service (ETS). Students who achieve a grade of “3” or above may receive college credit on the basis of these examinations. Credit given through the AP program does not apply toward the residency requirement for graduation. Following is more information on Advanced Placement.

Course Waiver

Shawnee State University recognizes that some courses completed in high school or vocational school may be equivalent to some entry-level coursework at Shawnee State. In order to avoid repetition of such courses and to encourage advanced study in the respective disciplines, Shawnee State has entered into "Articulation Agreements" with high schools, vocational schools, and school districts. This allows the award of advanced placement credit for certain coursework completed at the high school where articulation agreements are in place. Such credit waives the course requirement. A more advanced class must be completed to replace the waived course.

College Credit by Portfolio

Students enrolled in the Associate of Technical Study (A.T.S.) degree program, who think that their knowledge and prior learning experience qualify them for college credit related to this degree, may compile a portfolio by first enrolling in ETCO 1001, Technical Portfolio Development. This course comprises methods of self-assessment of prior learning experiences and guides you through the preparation of a portfolio. It is required for students who wish to submit a portfolio for evaluation.

Students must be admitted to the University and enroll in the course before the end of their second term.

Although credit awarded by portfolio evaluation is for the Associate of Technical Study degree program, portfolio credit does not meet the criteria for the minimum resident credit graduation requirement that students must satisfy by completing University classes.

Students must submit their portfolio(s) for evaluation within six months from the start date of the ETCO 1001 course term.

a) The learning experience or professional course must have taken place following the student’s high school graduation and must have academic relevance to college-level learning relating to a Shawnee State course as described in the current University catalog.

b) The student must provide third party documentation that adequately supports the authenticity and appropriateness of the learning experience for college-level credit.

c) The student must be able to demonstrate college-level writing skills.

d) Learning must be clearly differentiated from experiences. Credit is granted for demonstrated knowledge and skills, not for experience alone or for certificates of attendance alone.