What Makes This Major Unique
- The actuarial concentration is a math degree that includes an extensive background in mathematics as well as particular courses meant for the actuary profession including two courses designed to help prepare students to pass one of the first two actuarial exams.
- Most upper level courses within this concentration have small enrollments that enable more individualized teaching.
- There are 11 math faculty available to help students progress through the actuarial concentration.
- Close work with their peers in math lab help form a community for the teaching and learning of mathematics along with the opportunity for part-time income and work experience.
- Shawnee State University has a math club, where actuarial students participate in club meetings and activities, and a chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon, the national mathematics honor society.
- Actuarial students have participated each year in the Ohio Collegiate Insurance Challenge.
- Shawnee State University is recognized by the Society of Actuaries as one of the universities and colleges with an actuarial program with introductory curriculum.
- Shawnee State University is an educational member of the Insurance Industry Resource Council of Ohio. As such, this program is partnered with an insurance company to enhance understanding of the insurance industry and promote opportunities for internships and permanent jobs in the insurance industry.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in algebra needed to be successful in math classes.
- Students will be able to formulate, analyze, and solve problems in the mathematical sciences through analytical (logical reasoning) and computational techniques.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in calculus and linear algebra.
- Students will communicate mathematics at an advanced level.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in statistical methods.
- Students will solve problems related to economics and finance.
“The program is designed perfectly to set you up to pass the preliminary exams and to knock out educational credits needed. It was especially helpful to have courses dedicated to working through study manuals for these preliminary exams. Working through this program, you not only get the base knowledge, but also exposure to how that knowledge is going to be tested.”
“I really appreciated that by the time you got into the upper level math courses, there would often be less than 10 students in the course. I think this has fringe benefits that folks don’t typically think of. In particular, the faculty get to know you and will take action to help you succeed. For instance, the faculty helped me get an actuarial internship. Additionally, I can remember a situation where two classes that I needed were not offered every semester and were being held at the same time. It was a scheduling issue that would have delayed my graduation by a semester. However, I went to each of the professors and they allowed me to schedule both classes and worked with me outside of class when needed to make sure I was keeping up.”
“Shawnee State University is in a great location for an aspiring actuary as it is just two hours from Cincinnati and Columbus, both of which are big insurance hubs. Many schools offer actuarial science degrees, which can be limiting, but SSU’s degree is a concentration of the mathematical science degree which can keep more doors open to students. The two courses in the requirement that target problem solving are crucial extensions of the theoretical classes that one would take in a math only degree. These courses are critical for preparing for actuarial exams and are cost effective and efficient. Finally, the course requirement to get exposure to programming is a necessity for the actuary of tomorrow, where the ability to scale solutions is a must.”
Explore Jobs on Handshake
As a Shawnee student, you already have an account on Handshake, our career platform, which will help you to find job and internship opportunities, set job alerts, network with employers and other college students, register for upcoming SSU career events, and make appointments with Career Services. (Learn more about Handshake)
Login to Handshake to see more