This concentration is ideal for students who want to pursue a career in journalism, corporate communication, publishing, or public relations.
Students in the communications concentration develop theoretical and practical communication skills in all the main areas of communication studies, including public speaking, interpersonal communication, journalism, public relations and marketing, organizational communication, and publication editing and design.
What Makes This Major Unique
- Small class sizes encourage student-to-student interaction as well as faculty collaboration.
- Students develop communication abilities that are frequently cited by employers as one of their most sought-after skills in job candidates.
- Our program prepares students for a variety of professional paths and/or graduate degrees through exposure to key areas of specialization in Communication Studies—journalism/mass media, strategic communication, and human communication.
- Hands-on experience is gained in newspaper reporting, writing, and publication early in the program through work on the campus newspaper, The Chronicle, and later through a targeted internship.
- Upper-division classes allow students to learn more about: mass media politics, gender and media, rhetorical strategies, and public relations communication.
- Our communication students have an excellent graduate school placement rate. Recent alumni have attended graduate programs at Ohio State University, Bowling Green State University, Marshall University, and Capital Law School.
BA in English & Humanities: Communication Concentration
Within this concentration, students can tailor their program with one of the following tracks:
- Journalism/Mass Communication
- Human Communication
- Strategic Communication