Earn a Bachelor of Arts in English and Humanities
Our Bachelor of Arts degree in English and Humanities develops students’ abilities to think and read critically, write and speak clearly, and better understand the relationship language and literature have to broader cultural issues.
This concentration can be combined with a number of minors (business, communication or Spanish, for instance) to enhance opportunities for employment. Our alumni have gone on to successful careers in such fields as publishing, marketing, education, public service, finance, law, and business.
What Makes This Major Unique
Students who pursue an English and Humanities Generalist degree will have the opportunity to:
- take 34 hours of elective coursework in areas of their choosing
- fine-tune their written and oral communication skills, frequently cited by employers as the most sought-after skills in job candidates
- participate in the production of the university newspaper, The Chronicle, as well as our literary and artistic journal, Silhouette
- experience other cultures through the Hodgden Travel Grant, through which students have previously traveled to such places as England, France, Spain, Germany, Canada, China, Italy, and Mexico
- join Sigma Tau Delta, the prestigious international English honor society
English/Humanities (Generalist) BA
Our four-year Bachelor of Arts degree in English and Humanities emphasizes critical thinking and communication skills. This concentration can be combined with a number of minors (business, communication or Spanish, for instance) to enhance opportunities for employment.