Admission process

Financial Aid process

File your FAFSA at The FAFSA serves as the application for all federal, state and institutional aid at Shawnee State University. SSU's school code is 009942 which will be needed when filing the FAFSA.

If selected for the verification, you will be notified of required documentation. Submit documents in timely manner in order to complete your financial aid.

If your financial situation has changed, complete the Special Condition Application on the Financial Aid Forms website and submit with documentation.

Applying for Veteran’s Education Benefits

  • File the application for veteran's educational benefits at You will need to launch VONAPP and apply for benefits.
    • Veterans complete VA Form 22-1990
    • Dependents complete VA Form 22-5490
    • For transfer of benefits, complete VA Form 22-1990E (must have approval through the Department of Defense prior to submitting this form)
  • Print a copy of your application. Bring a copy of your application and a copy of the DD214 to the Veterans Representative located in the Student Business Center, on the second floor of the University Center.
  • When approved, you will receive a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs entitled "Certificate of Eligibility." Bring this form to the Veterans Representative located in the Student Business Center, on the second floor of the University Center.

Veteran’s Benefit Rates:

  • Benefit rates vary by GI Bill ® chapter
  • Rates normally change October 1st of each year
  • View current rates


You will be directed to the Student Success Center located on the first floor of Massie Hall. You will speak to an advisor concerning advising, registration, orientation services, and placement testing. The Success Center also provides tutoring services, computer labs, and trained personnel to assist you.

When you declare a major, you will be assigned an academic advisor. The name of your advisor can be found on your degree audit.

Student Responsibilities

Students must make satisfactory progress in all course work.

Students must contact when any of the following occur:

  • Registering for classes
  • Changing your major
  • Changing programs
  • Adding or dropping a class: Making changes to the number of credit hours impacts benefit payments and may result in indebtedness to the VA. It can impact the timeliness of benefits as VA re-processes the veteran's change due to adding or dropping a class.

You may send this information to SSU’s veterans email address at

Additional Offices providing support to veterans:

Student Activities – contributes to learning, development and retention by providing opportunities for involvement, leadership, and empowerment through a wide variety of organizations and programs. This service is located on the second floor of the University Center in Room 222. They can be reached at (740) 351-3392.

Student Career Services – available to help students become well-informed and well-prepared to make good career choices. As graduation approaches, the office offers job placement services as well as workshops on resume writing, cover letter composition, interviewing skills and job search strategies. This office is located in the Administration building room 036 and can be reached at (740) 351-3027.

Health Clinic – students enrolled for one (1) credit hour or more may receive medical care through the Health Clinic during the semester they are enrolled. A student does not have to participate in the University insurance plan to receive medical services. The Clinic is a walk-in clinic and is open Monday thru Friday from 10 am to 3 pm during the fall and spring semesters. It is closed during summer semester, on holidays and other times when the University is not holding classes. It is located on the first floor of the James A Rhodes Center in Room 118 and can be reached at (740) 351-4362.

Accessibility Services – provides a variety of support services to students with special needs such as learning disabled, suffering from traumatic brain injury (TBI) and physically challenged, through classroom accommodations, coordinating technical assistance to improve learning and the removal of structural barriers. This service is located in the Student Success Center on the first floor of Massie Hall and is open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm. They can be reached at (740) 351-3106.

Campus Counseling Services – offers a wide range of services to assist veterans in their readjustments. This service is located on the second floor of the University Center and can be reached at (740) 351-3608.

SSU Veterans Representative

If you have any questions or concerns, contact the Veterans Coordinator during normal office hours:

Brian Caudill
(740) 351-4441

GI Bill ® is a registered trade mark of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at