Earn a Bachelor of Arts in English/Humanities with a concentration in Culture and Media Studies
The culture and media studies concentration gives students an opportunity to analyze video games, graphic novels, film, and literature through a cultural studies lens. This concentration is ideal for students who want to work in the gaming industry, or those who wish to pursue graduate study in a media-related area.
What Makes This Major Unique
- Our students receive exposure to areas of specialization in Culture and Media Studies with the courses focused on film and digital media, video game narratives, virtual worlds, graphic novels, and animation.
- Because our students also take general English courses along with the Culture and Media courses, they can extend their knowledge in literature, linguistics, literary criticism, communication, and composition theory, all of which complement their concentration in myriad ways.
- Students will acquire critical communication skills necessary to function and succeed in tomorrow’s professional workforce backed with foundational knowledge in various areas of culture and media as practiced today.
- The program is guided by dedicated and knowledgeable faculty with interdisciplinary backgrounds in Culture and Media Studies.
- Students in the program have an opportunity to join Sigma Tau Delta, the prestigious international English Honor Society.
- Students will also have an opportunity to participate in fully funded study abroad trips sponsored by the Department of English and Humanities.
English/Humanities BA: Culture and Media Studies Concentration
A class on video games and virtual worlds and a class on graphic novels and animation were recently added to better serve student interests.