Shawnee State University is self-insured for collision and comprehensive liability on state-owned, leased, and rented motor vehicles. The University does not carry coverage for accidents or injury caused by uninsured or under-insured motorists. Insurance is included at no additional charge under the Enterprise agreement for official university travel. Drivers may wish to consult their personal insurance carrier to determine their level of coverage.

Individuals renting vehicles from companies other than Enterprise and National under the IUC contract for University sponsored travel must purchase additional insurance (Liability and Damage Waiver) from the rental company. Individuals renting vehicles outside the continental U.S. should purchase the additional insurance coverage.

In the event of an accident involving a university owned or leased vehicle, the driver must notify the proper police agency. The Office of Risk Management & Safety (740) 351-3310 should also be notified. Insurance cards, including instructions to drivers, are provided in the vehicle glove compartment, or the insurance cards (PDF) may be downloaded.

A complete report of any accident (including an investigating officer's name, jurisdiction, etc.) must be filed as soon as possible with the Office of Risk Management & Safety. The vehicle accident report can be found at the following link: Vehicle Accident Report (PDF)

Departments/Organizations are liable for the $1000 deductible cost for damage to a University vehicle and for the full deductible for damage to another vehicle if the University driver is at fault.

If a personally owned vehicle is used for official university business, the owner's insurance will be the primary coverage in the event of an accident.