Advising Mission Statement
The mission of the academic advising program within the Student Success Center is to prepare and empower students for college success by developing a partnership between the advisor and the student which promotes the personal, educational, career and professional development of the student.
Academic Advising within the Student Success Center
Within the Student Success Center, you will find professional academic advisors for University College, College of Professional Studies, College of Arts and Sciences, and College Credit Plus. Our advisors are here to support you on your academic journey. Below are a list of expectations which you should have of your academic advisor and which your advisor will have of you.
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements, and university and college policies and procedures.
- Encourage and guide students as they define and develop realistic goals.
- Guide and support students as they gain the skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans.
- Provide students with information about and strategies for using the available resources and services on campus.
- Assist students in understanding the purposes and goals of higher education and its effects on their lives and personal goals.
- Monitor and accurately document students’ progress toward meeting their goals.
- Be accessible for meeting with advisees via office hours for advising, telephone, or email.
- Assist students in gaining decision making skills and in assuming responsibility for their educational plans and achievements.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist students in working closely with their professors.
Advisees have clear responsibilities in the advising partnership to be successful:
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contacts with your advisor during each semester.
- Come prepared to each appointment with questions or material for discussion.
- Be an active learner by participating fully in the advising experience.
- Ask questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Keep a personal record of your progress toward meeting your goals.
- Organize official documents in a way that enables you to access them when needed.
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor.
- Gather all relevant decision-making information.
- Clarify personal values and goals and provide your advisor with accurate information regarding your interests and abilities.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures.
For general advising questions, email Ask_an_advisor@shawnee.edu.
To contact a specific advisor, please go to Contact us.