A meta-major is simply an area of interest. Shawnee State University has identified 6 meta-majors, or cluster of majors and programs that are similar or related.
The 6 meta-majors are as follows: Business, Education, Engineering Technology, Health Sciences, Liberal Arts, Mathematics and Science, and Social Science. Selecting a meta-major helps academic advisors better advise you and help you select courses.
Having trouble deciding? The following gives you a snap shot of the careers you may pursue with each meta-meta major.
Business (includes health management, management, Information systems management, accounting, marketing, legal assisting)
- These degrees prepare you for careers in: Management, Sales, Insurance, Banking, Human Resource Management, Purchasing/Procurement, Social Media Management, Entertainment Marketing, Accounting, Healthcare Administration, Network Administration, Database Administration, Systems Development, Technical Support, Web Administration, et cetera.
Education (early childhood, middle school, high school, special education, art)
- These degrees prepare you for careers in: K – 12 Teaching, K – 12 Administration, Special Education, Nonprofit, Day Care Centers and Nursery Schools, Camps, Youth Services, et cetera.
Engineering Technology (Digital Simulation & Gaming, Computer Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering)
- These degrees prepare you for careers in: Plastics/Materials Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, Computer Programming, Game Development, Environmental Compliance, Energy Systems Design, et cetera.
Health Sciences (Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Physical Therapy Assistant, Dental Hygiene, Radiology, Respiratory Therapy, Medical Laboratory, Emergency Medical, Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Sport Studies)
- These degrees prepare you for careers in: Nursing, Home Healthcare, Occupational Therapy Assisting, Recreation Therapy, Physical Therapy Assisting, Dental Hygiene, Radiologic Technology, Respiratory Therapy, Athletic Training, Business Operations in the Sport Industry (marketing, advertising, public relations, et cetera), Coaching, et cetera.
Liberal Arts (includes English, communications, fine arts, game design)
- These degrees prepare you for careers in: Writing/Editing, Technical Communication, Publishing, Game Design, Museums and Galleries, et cetera.
Mathematics and Science (includes biology, chemistry, geology, physics)
- These degrees prepare you for careers in: Research and Development, Food Science, Agriculture, Naturalist, Waste Inspection, Sales (drug and chemical), Soil Conservation, Wildlife Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Product Development, Process Development, Analytical Chemistry, Materials Engineering, Geologic Mapping, Science Education, et cetera.
Social Science (includes sociology, psychology, international relations, history, political science)
- These degrees prepare you for careers in: Social Work, Counseling, Criminal Justice, Social and Community Outreach, Youth Services, Government, Politics, Curatorial and Archive Management, et cetera.