Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) was selected for a review in a process called verification. This is to ensure that the information provided on the FAFSA is accurate. To verify that you provided correct information we will compare your FAFSA with the information on the verification worksheet and any other required documents. If there are differences, your FAFSA information will be corrected and sent to the Department of Education for processing. Federal financial aid cannot be awarded until the verification process is complete. Throughout the verification process, you may be required to submit additional documentation.
You will receive an official notification in your MySSU account from the Financial Aid Office outlining the documents that are needed for the verification process. You may also view your missing documents in your MySSU account. Please be sure to submit the correct verification worksheet. The verification worksheet must be signed by you and, if you are a dependent student, your parent. We cannot accept electronic signatures. Be sure to provide your SSU ID number on all documents submitted to our office.
We are unable to accept copies of your Federal Tax Return (1040/1040A/1040EZ) for verification purposes, unless specifically requested by the Financial Aid Office. In order to verify income information you must do the IRS Data Retrieval through FAFSA on the Web or request a tax return transcript from the IRS. If you did not originally use the IRS Data Retrieval, go to www.fafsa.gov, log in to the student’s FAFSA record, select the “Make FAFSA Corrections” link, and navigate to the Financial Information section of the form. From there, follow the instructions to determine if the student/parent is eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval to transfer the federal IRS income tax information into the student’s FAFSA. Once you use the data retrieval, do not make any changes to the transferred information. If you are unable or choose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool, you will be required to provide a tax return transcript from the IRS.
Any of the following methods may be used to obtain your tax return transcript.
- Obtain tax transcript online immediately: Go to www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript, click the Get Transcript Online box, Click on Create an Account or Sign In (if you
have already created an account), Follow steps 1-6
- Order by phone: Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946
- Order online: Go to www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript, click the Get Transcript by Mail box, and follow instructions
- Order by mail: Complete Form 4509-T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return)
Please be sure to request a Tax Return Transcript (not the tax account transcript). The Federal Tax Return must be filed at least two weeks (if filing electronically) and eight weeks (if filing a paper return) before using the IRS Data Retrieval or requesting a tax return transcript.
Please do not send any documentation to the Financial Aid Office unless requested to do so. This could result in the FAFSA being selected for verification.
Your verification documents may be faxed, emailed or mailed to our office with the exception of the Certification page and Statement of Educational Purpose. These two forms must be mailed or brought in person as we need original signatures.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – scan the documents, save as a PDF, and send as an email attachment
Fax: (740) 351-3435
Mail: Financial Aid Office, Shawnee State University, 940 Second Street, Portsmouth OH 45662
We cannot make copies of your information in the Student Business Center. Please be sure to have the appropriate copies when submitting documentation.
Verification for Individuals Granted a Filing Extension by the IRS
If an individual is required to file a 2014 IRS income tax return and has been granted a filing extension by the IRS, provide the following documents:
- A copy of IRS Form 4868, ‘‘Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,’’ that was filed with the IRS for tax year 2014;
- A copy of the IRS' approval of an extension beyond the automatic six-month extension if the individual requested an additional extension of the filing time for tax year 2014; and
- A copy of IRS Form W–2 for each source of employment income received for tax year 2014 and, if self-employed, a signed statement certifying the amount of the individual’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and the U.S. income tax paid for tax year 2014.
Verification for Individuals who Filed an Amended Tax Return
If an individual filed an amended IRS income tax return for tax year 2014, provide both of the following:
- A signed copy of the original 2014 IRS income tax return that was filed with the IRS or a 2014 IRS Tax Return Transcript or the 2014 tax year; and
- A signed copy of the 2014 IRS Form 1040X, “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,” that was filed with the IRS.
Verification for Individuals Who Were Victims of IRS Identity Theft
A victim of IRS identity theft who is not able to obtain a 2014 IRS Tax Return Transcript or use the IRS DRT must contact the IRS at 1-800-908-4490. Upon authentication of the tax filer’s identity, the IRS will provide, by U.S. Postal Service, a printout of the tax filer’s 2014 IRS income tax return information.
Verification for Individuals Who Filed Non-IRS Income Tax Returns
An individual filed or will file a 2013 income tax return with Puerto Rico, another U.S. territory (e.g., Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Northern Marianas Islands), or with a foreign country, must provide a signed copy of that 2013 income tax return(s).