If you or someone you know is a danger to themselves or someone else, go to the nearest ER or call 911.
The closest ER from campus is Southern Ohio Medical Center located at 1805 27th Street, Portsmouth, Ohio 45662. You can also reach them by phone at 740-354-5000.
If your need is urgent, contact SSU Department of Public Safety at 740-351-3232 to be connected with a licensed mental health professional for crisis intervention or screening outside of regular business hours.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
- National 24/7 Suicide Hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- List of State of Ohio Suicide Hotlines
- Local 1010 Hotline: 740-354-1010
- LGBT Youth Suicide Hotline: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR
- SSU Crisis Text Line: Text “shawnee” to 741-741
The Crisis Text Line serves anyone in any type of crisis, providing them access to free, 24/7 emotional support and information they need via the medium they already use and trust. Here’s how it works:
- Someone texts into the Crisis Text Line anywhere, anytime, about any type of crisis.
- A live, trained specialist receives the text and responds quickly.
- The specialist helps the person stay safe and healthy with effective, secure counseling and referrals through text message using the Crisis Text Line’s platform.