The Excellence in the Humanities Award was developed specifically to showcase the research-based scholarship of students in the Humanities at Shawnee State University. The award has a First and Second Place prizes, which are made possible thanks to the generous support of Dr. George White, a member of the Shawnee State University Board of Trustees.
All students nominated and award winners are subject the following stipulations:
- The award is for outstanding research and writing projects in the arts, humanities, and social sciences that are investigative, project-based, and scholarly;
- Recipient must be currently enrolled students and participate as oral presenters in the Celebration of Scholarship Conference;
- Award finalists and recipients are nominated by faculty mentors;
- Nominees must give a 15-minute presentation during a special “Humanities Prize” session during the Celebration of Scholarship Conference;
- The First-Place recipient of this award will receive a scholarship of $500 applied to their student account. The Second-Place recipient will receive a scholarship of $250 applied to their student account.
- If a group receives the award, the money will be divided up between all of the group members.
- Award amounts may be refunded to the student(s) in the event all of their tuition and fees are paid