Next Class Starts August 25th
The Ohio Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) course provides the framework upon which all other emergency care skills and knowledge are based.
Principles of emergency care, medical and traumatic emergencies, administering CPR, obtaining and recording vital signs, patient handling techniques, ambulance operation, light rescue techniques, and other emergency care procedures are included.
This course is fully accredited through the State of Ohio, Department of Public Safety, Division of Emergency Medical Services; Accreditation No.325
The EMT Course is one hundred fifty (150) hours and consists of classroom, lab, vehicle and hospital clinical time conducted through the Emergency Department at the local hospital. The EMT Course lasts approximately seventeen (17) weeks.
This class usually meets on Tuesdays, Thursdays and every other Friday from 6–8:50 pm. There will also be three to four scheduled Saturday sessions averaging six hours each from 8 am. until 2 or 3 pm. These will be announced at the beginning of the course.
Cost: $700 plus books
Books are available in the Shawnee State University bookstore (Barnes & Noble) and currently cost approximately $145.
- Emergency Care by Brady 13th edition
- Basic Life Support by American Heart Association
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be eligible to sit for the EMT National Registry exam. The EMT National Registry Exam is offered as a computer-based exam. This test is the State of Ohio’s certification exam. Included in the exam are written and practical portions. All practical portions must be passed. After successful completion of the written and practical exams, the student then applies to the Division of EMS for certification.
National Registry Exam Fee: $80 per attempt as of January 1, 2017.
Classes will meet on the main campus of Shawnee State University. Please see the program coordinator for specific building and classroom.
Apply for Enrollment
The course is limited to 20 students. All students will be given a reading comprehension test the first night of class.
You may turn in your completed application to Bill Turner in the Health Sciences building, Room 162 or mail it to:
Shawnee State University
Emergency Medical Technology
940 Second Street
Portsmouth, OH 45662
- Must be age 17 or older.
- Must possess current government-issued photo ID; driver’s license, proof of age
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Completion of a pre-entrance physical exam (prior to beginning of course)
- Completion of a five-panel non-DOT drug screen.
- Full tuition or payment plan arranged or letter of intent from a sponsoring organization. See Tuition section at bottom of page for more details.
- Completion of an Ohio State & Federal background check. (See application (PDF).)
- A Criminal History Statement attesting to the fact that the student has not been charged with, pled guilty to or been convicted of the listed crimes. (See application (PDF).)
Jobs for EMTs may be found at your local emergency squads, ambulance services, or hospital emergency departments. Shifts, working hours, and wages vary depending on the employer. Please check with your potential employer for more information.
Students wishing to pursue Paramedic certification must first attain Ohio certification as an EMT. Students must have no less than six (6) months experience (25 documented emergency runs) providing EMT-level care in the pre-hospital setting prior to beginning the Paramedic Program (s). Students are instructed to contact Bill Turner at 740-351-3463 regarding further information on EMT or Paramedic Education.
Tuition is $700.
Tuition may be paid online by EFT or credit card at commerce.cashnet.com/EMT.
- One-time payment in full of $700 is due by the end of Week 2.
- Two separate payments:
- First payment of $350 due by the end of Week 2.
- Second payment of $350 due 30 days before the class ends.
- Three separate payments:
- First payment of $231 due by the end of Week 2.
- Second payment of $231 due by midterm.
- Third payment of $238 due 30 days before the class ends.
Note: Tuition must be paid in full 30 days before class ends unless you have provided a letter of intent to pay from a third party, e.g. employer, city or township, who will be invoiced for your tuition.
These letters should either be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to Career Services, Shawnee State University, 940 Second Street, Portsmouth, OH 45662.
They may also be delivered in person to the SSU Career Services office in Massie Hall, Room 124.