The Excellence in the Humanities Award was developed specifically to showcase the research-based scholarship of students in the Humanities at Shawnee State University. The award has First and Second Place prizes, which are made possible thanks to the generous support of Dr. George White, a member of the Shawnee State University Board of Trustees.
All students nominated and award winners are subject the following stipulations:
- The award is for outstanding research and writing projects in the arts, humanities, and social sciences that are investigative, project-based, and scholarly;
- Recipient must be currently enrolled SSU students and must participate as oral presenters in the Celebration of Scholarship Conference;
- Award finalists and recipients are nominated only by faculty mentors;
- Nominees must give a 15-minute presentation during a special "Humanities Prize" session during the Celebration of Scholarship Conference;
- The First-Place recipient of this award will receive a scholarship of $500 applied to their student account.
- The Second-Place recipient will receive a scholarship of $250 applied to their student account.
- If a group receives the award, the money will be divided up between all of the group members.
- Award amounts may be refunded to the student(s) in the event all of their tuition and fees are paid.