About the Women’s Center
To promote, advocate, educate, and support the women of Shawnee State University and the community at large.
The Shawnee State University Board of Trustees created the Women’s Center in the spring of 2006. The Women’s Forum, a membership organization which preceded the Center, was formed in the fall of 2000. The goals of the Women's Forum/Women's Center are as follows:
- Increasing awareness of gender related issues affecting the status of women within academia and the workplace.
- Addressing, through focused initiatives, the specific concerns of women within the Appalachian culture.
- Providing a forum for debate and discourse regarding issues affecting women at Shawnee State.
- Serving as an impetus for concrete actions that will result in increasing opportunities for career advancement, academic accomplishment, enriching experience, and professional development for the women of SSU.
- Encouraging the establishment of academic programs that provide the opportunity for concentrated study of women's issues
- Offering programming which will increase the level of self-esteem and personal expectations of all women.
- Creating an atmosphere in which women are valued, treated with respect, and afforded the same opportunities available to others within the university and community.
Any university faculty, staff member, student, or alumni can be added to the e-mail distribution list by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.