Choosing the Right Major
Deciding on a major can be one of the most difficult aspects a student faces when entering or considering higher education. Career Services offers many resources to help you decide whether a particular major is right for you.
Determine Your Strengths
Take the Focus 2 and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessments. The results will help jump start the exploration process and provide you with lists of both majors and careers that may strike your interest based on your results. The access code for Focus 2 is shawnee (all lowercase letters).
Research a Variety of Majors
To further explore your options and interests, you can view a full list of degrees and areas of study. Upperclassmen and faculty in the department you are interested in are great resources for learning more about a program!
Explore the Meta-Majors Offered by SSU
What is a meta-major? A meta-major is simply an area of interest. Shawnee State University has identified 6 meta-majors, or cluster of majors/programs that are similar or related.
What can I do with my major?
Still concerned about whether a certain major is right for you?
- View a list of potential careers you may have with majors from SSU.
- This page also allows you to view the skills needed, typical job responsibilities, and wages for the potential career options associated with the major you choose.
Make an appointment with Career Services to discuss your results! Call (740) 351-3027 or email Careers@shawnee.edu for available appointment times.
Your Career Development Plan
Use this checklist to make sure you’re ready to successfully enter the workforce and graduate with multiple job offers!
Which Career is for You?
Once you have an idea of what subject you would like to study, it is important to explore the different careers associated with the major.
- Make an appointment in Career Services to make a plan for pursuing the career
- Schedule an informational interview with someone that works in your desired field
- Job shadowing (PNG) and volunteering are great ways to get ideas about different positions or confirm your interest in a certain field
- Use the following websites to begin your search: