Career Service's Quick Guide to Life After College
For a more detailed guide, visit our office to pick up a free copy of Life After School: Explained (Photo from: Amazon.com)
Develop Healthy Habits
Tips for increasing your endurance to help you meet deadlines and survive those overtime days:
- Find exercise you enjoy and do it often
- Practice good sleep hygiene
- Eat well for extra energy!
- Read for leisure
- Explore different activities and hobbies
- Keep in touch with friends from college
Create a Budget
The numbers on that first paycheck may be tempting, but creating financial hardship will make the transition from college to work extra challenging.
- Identify spending habits
- Take into consideration new expenses
- Remember: your salary is gross income before taxes. Be prepared to lose up to 30% of your paycheck to taxes, retirement deductions, and health insurance.
Be careful with student-loan debt:
- Understand your repayment options
- Make payments on time
- Do not take on other debt if possible (i.e. credit cards, car loan, et cetera)
Start saving now!
- Use automatic transfers or payroll deduction when available.
- Drop your change in a change jar or piggy bank.
Continue Your Professional Development!
- Networking is always important
- Recognize mentors at and outside of work
- Join a professional organization associated with your field and get involved in leadership positions
- Keep yourself motivated by reflecting on your achievements
- Remember, this job will most likely not be your last!