The Glockner Dare to Dream high school regional business pitch competition is an annual event that gives area high school students the opportunity to create a business idea and pitch it to a panel of judges for the chance to win thousands of dollars in prize money.
The competition theme is "Heroes," because this event exposes local high school students to entrepreneurial heroes in our local region and encourages them to dream of becoming one in the future.
Who can participate?The 2018/2019 competition is open to students who attend high schools in the following regions:
• Ohio: Lawrence, Scioto, Pike, Gallia, Adams, and Jackson Counties
• Kentucky: Lawrence, Boyd, Greenup, and Carter Counties
• West Virginia: Wayne and Cabell Counties
Students and teachers with the best entrepreneurial business pitch ideas receive cash awards. In 2018, the program had $33,200 in sponsorship money, and this year's goal is $40,000.
What is a pitch competition?Entrepreneurial teams consisting of three to five high school students each take the stage to pitch a business idea to a panel of business experts. This can be a high school class project led by a teacher, an after school project led by a volunteer, or a team formed by a group of individual students. There is no obligation or cost to the school or students who participate in this program. A Dare to Dream representative will be available to talk to all participants to assist them in preparing for the competition.
ContactsIf questions, contact:
Mike Thompson, Primary Contact
Mick Fosson, Co-Chair email@example.com
Angie Duduit, Shawnee State University
Timeline• November 1, 2018: Deadline to submit letters of intent
-- Please submit to Mike Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mid-February 2019: In-School competitions
• February 28, 2019: Ohio State Semi-finals at Shawnee State, 5:30 p.m.
• TBD: Kentucky State Semi-finals
• March 19, 2019: Final Competition at Shawnee State, 5:30 p.m.
- Visit the Dare to Dream website at: daretodreamtristate.wordpress.com.
- Follow the Dare to Dream Facebook page at: facebook.com/daretodreamcontest.
- A preview event was held in mid-July for local school representatives. If you missed
it, watch it below.
Who won the 2018 competition?
The 2018 grand champion was the Russell (Ky.) High School team of Chloe Porter, MacKenzie
Cole, and Bethany Bloss. They took home $7,000 for their pitch of Magna-Strength,
a company that makes magnetically-enhanced workout gadgets. Congratulations to them
and their team instructor, Missy Wilburn. They are pictured above with Andy and Tim
Glockner, title sponsors of the event, and Mick Fosson of the Kentucky Innovation
Network. Partner sponsors included WAI/Wastren Advantage and Kentucky Farmer's Bank.
Shawnee State University was proud to serve as the host of the 2018 Glockner Dare to Dream high school business pitch competition on March 20, 2018. Teams from Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia competed for a total of $30,000 in cash prizes.
Watch the 2018 competition below.