Property and Equipment Loss Claims
- The University has property insurance to protect against direct physical loss or damage to its real or personal property from events such as theft, fire, windstorm, lightning, hail, explosion, or flood. Reimbursement will not exceed the cost to replace, repair, or restore the item to the condition that existed immediately before the loss.
- SSU is responsible for the first $100,000 deductible for any University owned items or
equipment. Departments may be responsible for all expenses incurred up to the $100,000
- It is the department's responsibility to notify the Office of Risk Management, Joe VanDeusen (740) 351-3310, of a claim by filing a Property Loss Report (PDF).
- For equipment losses, a copy of the original purchasing documents (PO, PCard Statement, and/or Invoice) is required to value the claim.
- A police report must be filed on all claims involving theft and/or vandalism, or on any other claim of a suspicious nature.
- The University is not responsible for the loss of or damage to personal property of employees or students. It is expected that these items would be insured through an individual home insurance policy.
- Per the Housing Contract, the University is not responsible for personal property housed or stored in residence halls.
- Residents are encouraged to purchase comprehensive renters insurance.