You might want to visit the Writing Center if you need
- Writing papers for your classes,
- Preparing for essay tests, or
- Researching or documenting your class
The peer tutors can best help you with
your writing if you remember the following guidelines:
- Know your assignment.
- Come prepared with questions
about a rough draft, an assignment (bring the assignment sheet), or
a final draft.
- Most tutoring sessions last 15-20
minutes. Tutors can usually give you a significant amount of
feedback in that length of time. Longer sessions are not
always productive. If you need more feedback than you can get
in one tutoring session, feel free to return to the Center after you
have substantially revised your work.
- Please be courteous to others
using the Center. Keep the noise level down. Do not
interrupt others' tutoring sessions.
- Tutors will coach you through the
writing process, but your work must be your own. They cannot
write your papers for you.
- Tutors will be happy to help you
learn to identify and correct your own errors. They cannot
proofread and edit your work for you.
- Tutors will give you constructive
feedback on your work in progress. They cannot grade your
- Remember that you are ultimately
responsible for your own work. You can accept or reject
tutors cannot grade your work.