The Center for Community Service's mission is directly in line with Shawnee State University's mission and strategic plan.
The following are five goals that we hope to achieve through our programs.
- To engage students in service projects that meet the needs and environmental concerns of the larger community and challange them as they are actively developing, both cognitively and psychosocially.
- To raise awareness about social, political and cultural issues, encourage SSU students, faculty and staff to view themselves as part of the larger community, and motivate them to seek solutions to these challenges.
- To support the relationship between coursework and real world experience by serving as a resource to faculty and staff who wish to incorporate community service into their courses, thus helping students practice basic knowledge and skills needed for success in the 21st century.
- To increase service opportunities and support the efforts of SSU students, faculty and staff whose activities and projects augment our community partners' abilities to serve their clients, thereby cultivating a shared sense of purpose within the University.
- To demonstrate the importance of civic responsibility and empower SSU students to engage in active citizenship post graduation.