Tony Dzik PhD
Anthony J. Dzik, Ph.D.
Research interests are: Physical and Cultural Geography of the Great Plains (especially badlands areas) and arctic environments (especially Greenland); Medical Geography; Small area geographic studies.
Ph.D. in Geography, 1986
University of Toledo
M.A. in Geography, 1978
B.A. in Geography, 1976
- Geog 2201 - Cultural Geography
- Geog 2225 - Physical Geography
- Geog 3310 - Medical Geography
- Geog 3311 - Air Pollution
- Geog 3350 - Regional Geography: North America
- Geog 3360 - Regional Geography: American Great Plains
Activities and Research
- Not that Flat: Physical Geography of rugged Sedimentary Landscapes of the Great Plains (Plan Plateau Publications), 2013.
- Badlands of the American West: A Primer (Plain Plateau Pubications), 2012 (V. J. Dzik, co-author).
- The Pillars of Kedvale Avenue: A Geography of a Chicago West Side Neighborhood in the 1960s (Sunfish Blvd. Publications/Lulu Press), 2009
- Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare: An American Car Story (Sunfish Blvd. Publications/Lulu Press), 2006
- The Interpretation of Our Physical Landscape: A Workbook (Stipes Publications, Champaign, Ill.), 1987, 2nd edition 1990 (J.W. Piety, co-author).
- Interplays of site and situation along Tunulliarfik Fjord, South Greenland; JOURNAL OF SETTLEMENTS AND SPATIAL PLANNING vol. 5 #2, 2014.
- Kangerlussuaq: Evolution and maturation of a cultural landscape in Greenland; BULLETIN OF GEOGRAPHY SOCIO-ECONOMIC SERIES vol. 24, 2014.
- Looking for dangerous places: some aspects of medical geography and disease mapping; WEST VIRGINIA MEDICAL JOURNAL vol. 93 #5, Sept./Oct. 1997.
- Leukemia mortality rates of Ohio River communities in comparison with other communities; GEOGRAPHIA MEDICA vol. 21, Dec. 1991.
- Cerebrovascular disease mortality rates and water hardness in North Dakota; SOUTH DAKOTA JOURNAL OF MEDICINE vol. 42 #4, April 1989.
- Geography of rat bites in Chicago; BULLETIN OF THE ILLINOIS GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY vol. 29, Spring 1987 (Thaila Wallen, co-author)
- Brown and grey air cities; VIRGINIA GEOGRAPHER vol. 17, Fall-Winter 1985.
- Snails, schistosomiasis and irrigation in the tropics; PUBLIC HEALTH-THE JOURNAL OF COMMUNITY MEDICINE, LONDON vol. 97, July 1983.
- Shopper orientation in Billings County, North Dakota; NORTH DAKOTA QUARTERLY vol. 49, Summer 1981.
Outside of academia, interests include drag racing, old and new Mopars, American folk and folk-rock music, and travel to interesting places in the U.S.