Shawnee State has four outstanding degrees in biology that prepares its graduates for careers in science, as well as providing a strong preparation for students interested in graduate or professional schools.
Shawnee State faculty members offer research opportunities for every student enrolled in our program, and work one-on-one with them in several dedicated research lab spaces.
- Nine highly-qualified faculty members. Eight with Ph.D.'s in biology, one with an M.S. in biology.
- Undergraduate research opportunities every semester.
- Upper-division classes are small, with class sizes typically around 10 – 20 students.
- A teaching licensure option is available with our BS Natural Sciences degree
- Graduates have been admitted to graduate, medical, and pharmacy Schools at: The Ohio State University, Ohio University, and the University of Cincinnati.
- We have several active biology clubs within the department that invite speakers to
campus, get involved with the community, and organize social activities.
- Our Pre-Med Club invites speakers from medical schools, organizes social activities, and helps students with the medical school application process.
- Our Tri-Beta Club is the Xi Upsilon chapter of the βββ National Biological Honor Society. They promote research and research activities within the department.
- Our World Before Us Club is an environmental science based club.
- Field-based research opportunities are available for students, including a two-week research trip to Costa-Rica that occurs during Spring/Summer.
- The vast majority of our senior Biomedical sciences majors are accepted to one or more medical/professional school.
If you have any questions about our biology programs, please feel free to drop us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule a Visit:
Visit campus and explore our wonderful facilities.
Come make a name for yourself at Shawnee State University.