Shawnee State has three outstanding degrees in biology that prepares its graduates for careers in science, as well as providing a strong preparation for students interested in graduate or professional schools.
In the last two years:
- 65% of Shawnee State’s Biology (biomedical) graduates ended up attending either medical, veterinarian, or some other professional school.
Of the remaining graduates:
- 18% entered directly into the workforce
- 6% went to graduate school
- 6% pursued a second baccalaureate program.
- 79% of our program graduates have directly entered the workforce, with such careers
- 14% have been admitted into graduate (MS and Ph.D.) programs
- 54% of our program graduates have directly entered the workforce, with such careers
- Industrial Hygienist
- Radiation Technician
- Lead Quality Assurance and Quality Control Technician
- 13% have been accepted into graduate (MS and Ph.D.) programs
- 17% have been accepted into professional school programs, such as:
- MS Occupational Therapy
- MS Physician Assistant Studies
Shawnee State faculty members offer research opportunities for every student enrolled in our program, and work one-on-one with them in several dedicated research lab spaces.
- Nine highly-qualified faculty members. Eight with Ph.D.'s in biology, one with an M.S. in biology.
- Undergraduate research opportunities every semester.
- Upper-division classes are small, with class sizes typically around 10 – 20 students.
- A teaching licensure option is available with our BS Natural Sciences degree
- Graduates have been admitted to graduate, medical, and pharmacy Schools at: The Ohio State University, Ohio University, and the University of Cincinnati.
- We have several active biology clubs within the department that invite speakers to
campus, get involved with the community, and organize social activities.
- Our Pre-Med Club invites speakers from medical schools, organizes social activities, and helps students with the medical school application process.
- Our Tri-Beta Club is the Xi Upsilon chapter of the βββ National Biological Honor Society. They promote research and research activities within the department.
- Our World Before Us Club is an environmental science based club.
- Field-based research opportunities are available for students, including a two-week research trip to Costa-Rica that occurs during Spring/Summer.
- The vast majority of our senior Biomedical sciences majors are accepted to one or more medical/professional school.
If you have any questions about our biology programs, please feel free to drop us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule a Visit:
Visit campus and explore our wonderful facilities
Come make a name for yourself at Shawnee State University