John Kelley, Ph.D.
My academic interests focused on 20th Century American political, economic and diplomatic history. Near the end of my SSU career I held several administrative posts: Interim Provost, 2001-03 and Interim Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, 2005-2006. In retirement in San Antonio (since 2006), I have returned to the campus to give the 2007 Constitution Day Lecture (on Presidential War Powers) and teach during the 2009 and 2010 summer sessions.
Ph.D., History, 1995
MA, History, 1969
Marian College (now "Marian University")
BA, History, 1966
- GOVT 1101 - National Government
- HIST 3305 - US in Depression and War, 1920-1945
- HIST 3306 - Cold War America, 1945-1992
- HIST 3310 - American Foreign Relations since 1914
Activities and Research
- John L. Kelley - Bringing the Market Back In: The Political Revitalization of Market Liberalism (New York: New York University Press, 1997.)
- In retirement I have renewed my interest in astronomy. Presently I am working on an article, "John Quincy Adams: A Presidential Advocate for Astronomy," that combines my interest in history and astronomy. As a member of the San Antonio Astronomical Association and the San Antonio League of Sidewalk Astronomers I participate in perhaps 30 public star gazes annually. I keep active teaching by offering history and government classes for my fellow retirees at the Academy of Lifelong Learning (ALIR).