Music Theatre Application Instructions
Thank you for your interest in the Musical Theatre program at Shawnee State University. Below please find instructions for applying to Shawnee State and requesting an audition. Please be sure to review the information carefully. It is to your advantage to apply as early as possible.
We invite you to tour the beautiful Shawnee State campus. Contact our admissions office at: 740.351.3221 to schedule a visit. Should you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us. Again, thanks for your interest and we look forward to meeting you in the future.
Application instructions for students entering academic year 2013-2014:
Before completing the online application, please carefully review all of the instructions. All information you supply will be considered confidential. Your application cannot be considered until all of the requested information has been received (application, transcripts, test scores, recommendations, and audition) including proof of English proficiency for international students. All deadlines are postmark deadlines.
Auditions: 2013-2014 academic year will be held on
- Monday, February 18, 2013
- Saturday, March 16th, 2013
- Saturday, April 13th, 2013
Times: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Location: SSU campus, Vern Riffe Center for the Arts
The last day to apply for the 2013-2014 school year will be Saturday, April 13th, 2013.
- Online Application to Shawnee State completed
- Musical Theatre program online application for audition completed
- Request transcript(s) be sent to Shawnee
- Test Scores (ACT or SAT)
- Schedule an Audition
- Recommendation forms prepared
- Transfer Student Form completed (if applicable)
1. Shawnee State University Online Application -- Prospective students must apply to the University via the website at http://www.shawnee.edu/off/adms/apply.html
2. Musical Theatre program online application for audition -- You can request an audition using the form linked in the checklist above. Auditions MUST be conducted in person. Every effort will be made to honor the first choice audition date and audition time.
3. Transcripts -- Request an official transcript from each institution attended previously. You should arrange to have your high school or GED transcript mailed to Shawnee State. If you have attended another college or university, the registrar from that institution must forward an official college transcript to the Office of Admission. If you have earned fewer than 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours, you must also send your high school transcript.
4. Results of the SAT or ACT -- These must be sent to the Office of Admission. Freshman students who have earned any college credit (including post-secondary enrollment) must also send a copy of their college transcript. Applicants age 21 or over are exempt from providing SAT or ACT scores.
Please send all transcript and test score materials to the following address:
Office of Admission
Shawnee State University
940 Second Street
Portsmouth Ohio 45662-4344
5. Schedule an Audition -- Apply for an audition by filling out the online form linked above. You will be notified via email of an exact audition time based on the availability of your date of choice.
A live audition in Portsmouth, Ohio is required for admission to the program. No pre-recorded auditions are accepted. All applicants will audition in three areas: singing, dancing and acting. Video of in-person auditions may be recorded by the program faculty.
For the singing portion, applicants should prepare two selections from the Broadway repertoire. One should be "up-tempo" and the other should be a ballad. Neither selection should exceed 32 measures in length and all selections must be performed from memory. Longer auditions will be stopped. Students may bring their own accompanist; a local accompanist will also be available. Applicants should bring a binder of music in the correct key with all cuts clearly marked. No a cappella singing will be permitted! Musical numbers MUST NOT include choreography.
For the acting portion of the audition, applicants should be ready to present a prepared monologue from a play. Suitable material may be comic or dramatic in nature but must not exceed 60 seconds in length. Longer performances will be stopped. Applicants must supply a resume that includes their contact information, performance history and training plus a recent 8x10 headshot. No scrapbooks please.
Dance auditions/training sessions, or dance combination choreography will be taught throughout the day. Bring appropriate dancewear for your auditions. Those with tap experience will have the opportunity to showcase their tap skills.
6. Recommendation letters -- Use the recommendation form linked above. Bring two recommendations with you on the day of your scheduled audition.
7. If you are a transfer student, you should fill out the transfer student application for admission available from: https://applyto.shawnee.edu/transfer.aspx
Professor Dr. Michael Barnhart (Music) email@example.com or Professor John Huston (Theatre) firstname.lastname@example.org for specific questions or further information.